WeirFoulds Construction Lawyers Krista Chaytor, Faren Bogach and Jeff Scorgie present Tools for Success. A comprehensive six-part practical webinar series designed to highlight the latest changes and developments that impact the construction industry.
Thursday, April 15, 2021 | 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. EST
Your construction contract is an essential part of a successful project. Join us to learn about some simple solutions that can help you avoid substantial risk. You will also hear from Tim Meana, General Manager at Walsh Canada about negotiating contracts. Tim has over 20 years’ experience in construction over a diverse portfolio of large-scale building projects.
- Game changing construction terms to know about in your contracts.
- Practical tips for making contracts work better for you.
- Do you need to care about the new CCDC-2 2020?
Risk Management: Insurance and Bonding
Thursday, April 29, 2021 | 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. EST
The insurance and bonding markets are unpredictable. To help us navigate them, we welcome Jamie Collum, Vice President, Construction Practice division and Andrew Cartwright, Vice President, Surety division at FCA Insurance, to discuss bonding and insurance requirements.
- The recent spike in insurance premiums and how to prepare for changes in this market.
- Why you should get a bonding facility sooner rather than later.
- Details on the new insurance requirements for the CCDC contracts.
Bidding and Tendering
Thursday, May 13, 2021 | 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. EST
You can only be successful if you get the project! In this session, we will share key considerations for both those running procurements and those responding to them. You will also hear from Sierra Bilyk, Counsel at Metrolinx, about the owner’s perspective on complex procurement practices.
- The latest market trends for procurement strategies
- When to use a Request for Proposal or a Tender
- Evaluating risk and getting advice
Excess Soil Regulations
Thursday, May 27, 2021 | 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. EST
A regulation on excess soil? Yes, there are new rules governing the management and reuse of excess soils on construction and development sites. Jeff Goldman, Land Developer, Principal at SoilFLO (a soil management tracking system) and the Ontario Home Builder Association representative on the Province’s Excess Soil Task Force, will join us to talk about practical ways to manage the regulation.
- How is the regulation affecting your construction project today and what rules are coming into force in the future?
- What to look out for during procurement.
- Updating your contracts and other practical considerations.
Thursday, June 10, 2021 | 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. EST
The last thing that you want is a dispute on a construction project. Join us for a seminar with Jiwan Thapar, Managing Principal/CEO at JTE Claims Consultants Ltd. on how to avoid and manage disputes. JTE is an engineering and management consulting company specializing in construction claims and dispute resolution. In his role as Managing Principal, Jiwan has contributed to the success of projects ranging from high-rise condominiums to billion-dollar rapid transit systems and hydroelectric plants.
- Top causes of disputes on construction projects.
- How to avoid or resolve disputes at an early stage.
- Minimizing the cost of disputes that arise on a project.